My motto: Pro Deo et Patria

For God and Country!

Thursday, November 17, 2011

For The Nameless Martyr

Beside the bleak and dusty road

The flowers are in bloom.

I stoop to inhale their fragrance fair,

Before I face my doom.


My guards are in a hurry;

They don’t let me stop for long.

With a violent shove I’m thrust,

Stumbling forward through the throng.


Twenty brawny soldiers lead

Me closer to my death.

I hear the sound of cheering;

I smell wine upon their breath.


Of a sudden I’m enveloped

By a murd’rous, hateful crowd.

They trample the lovely blossoms,

And their cries for blood are loud.


I see the majestic fighting ring,

My site of execution.

What a shame a work of beauty

Should furnish such confusion.


I’m stripped and cast into the arena,

Greeted by catcalls and jeers.

Ravenous lions are loosed in the ring;

The taunts are replaced by cheers.


Across the arena, I notice a flower,

Crushed by thousands of feet.

My terror fades to contentment;

Soon will my rest be sweet.


Soon to see my family,

Soon to meet my King,

I’m eager now, I cannot wait!

Come swiftly, death, to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment